ASL Medical Interpreter/Administrative Assistant
Position Title: ASL Department Interpreter/Assistant
Department: ASL Services
Position Report to: Director of ASL Services
Positions Supervised: None
Works in multiple capacities for Linguava, including as an ASL Certified Medical and community services Interpreter for on-site, SVI and VRI, as well as assisting with administrative directed tasks and initiatives in the ASL Services Department.
Skills and Attributes
Candidates must possess the following skills and attributes:
● Nationally Certified ASL interpreter with experience in medical settings.
● Certified Oregon Health Care Interpreter. (Or willing to obtain within 90 days of hire.)
- Current HIPAA training/certification.
- Experience working as a member of a medical health care team with the ability to patiently handle sensitive situations diplomatically and respectfully.
- Ability to discern and adapt to a variety of signed and spoken language levels/ skills to ensure effective and accurate communication.
- Friendly and professional, with excellent customer service and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to stay organized and prioritize multiple tasks without compromising the quality of service.
- Commitment to excellent ASL interpreting services for the community. ● Understanding of basic business practices.
- Basic skills interpreting on virtual meeting platforms.
- Knowledge and interaction with the cultural Deaf cultural community and professional interpreting community.
- Ability to travel for assignments and other designated events. ● Strong oral and written skills.
- Provide ASL interpretation services as needed for a wide range of community on-site appointments. Including medical/mental health, business, educational, conference, and broadcast/platform events.
- Adhere to and stay current on all health requirements for medical interpreting including up-to-date required vaccinations.
- Provide ASL interpretation services via SVI and VRI when assigned. ● Follow all medical and health guidelines for working in health care settings.
- Interpret for company in-house needs including meetings, trainings, and videos.
- Assist in recruiting and onboarding of ASL interpreters.
- Assist with planning and coordination of training events for interpreters and staff.
- Communicate when needed with interpreters, customers, and team members in a professional and ethical manner.
- Develop rapport with client schedulers, providers, and other office staff ● Other functions as needed
Graduation from accredited Interpreter
Comprehensive understanding of the ASL medical interpreting profession, terminology and National Standards of Practice for Healthcare Interpreters. Required knowledge of HIPAA, state, and federal laws. Possess and maintain RID certification as an American Sign Language interpreter.Compliance with the RID Code of Professional Conduct (CPC)
- Project management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Tech-savvy with the ability to utilize various computer programs
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
Minimum 3 years of onsite ASL interpreting.
Experience in a variety of community interpreting situations with specialization in medical and mental health care, Sales/ customer service experience preferred.
Participates in/supports Deaf community events.
Required Work Hours:
Exempt position/40 hours per week, covering basic hours of operation Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm plus occasional evenings and/or weekends as needed.
Benefits and Compensation:
Compensation commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including:
– Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance at 60 Days
– 6 paid holidays
– PTO – 2 weeks (increases annually)
– Employee 401K Program (after 1 year)
How do I apply?
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org