A Sales Manager administers the selling of a company’s product line(s). It includes the planning, implementation, and control of sales programs, as well as recruiting, training, motivating, and evaluating members of the sales force. The fundamental role of the Sales Manager is to develop and administer a selling program that effectively contributes to the organization’s goals. The Sales Manager will likely decide how many salespeople to employ, how best to select and train them, what sort of compensation and incentives to use to motivate them, what type of presentation they should make, and how the sales function should be structured for maximum contact with customers.
The primary role of the Sales Manager is to be responsible for the development and performance of all sales activities in the assigned market. Staffs and directs a sales team and provides leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with company vision and values. Establishes plans and strategies to expand the customer base in the assigned area and contributes to the development of training and educational programs for clients and Account Executives. While the exact responsibilities will vary from company to company, the main duties of the Sales manager can be summarized as follows:
- Responsible for obtaining profitable results through the sales team by developing the team through motivation, counseling, skills development, and product knowledge development.
- Responsible for managing the sales team, developing a business plan covering sales, revenue, and expense controls, meeting agreed targets and promoting the organization’s presence.
- Responsible to negotiate all key customer and Buying Group contracts.
- Lead and schedule weekly and/or monthly team meetings with the sales team and leadership.
- Embody company culture and maintain high sales employee engagement.
- Meet pre-determined revenue goals through the activities of direct reports.
- Ensure correct usage of CRM and other sales applications.
- Train and ensure adherence to the sales process.
- Plan and implement a specific appraisal system that describes the responsibilities and performance standards for each member of the sales team, set individual territory sales and commission targets, and administer the commission plan.
- Personally observe the performance of sales representatives in the field on a regular basis.
- Responsible for the planning, recruitment, direction, organization, and control of Regional Sales Managers and sales representatives to accomplish specific objectives.
- Provide high standards of ongoing training for the sales representatives so that they possess sufficient technical knowledge to present information on the company’s products in an accurate and balanced manner.
- Train new salespeople to ensure success.
- Coach and develop direct reports.
- Manage the sales administration function, operational performance reporting, streamlining processes and systems wherever possible, and advising senior management on maximizing business relationships and creating an environment where customer service can flourish.
- Responsible for monitoring the performance of the sales team by establishing a system of reports and communications involving sales reports, cyclical sales meetings, sales newsletters and electronic bulletins.
- Assign sales territories, set sales goals, and establish training programs for the organization’s sales representatives.
- Track sales team metrics and report data to leadership on a regular basis.
- Implement performance plans according to company procedure.
- Assist in the development of the annual sales plan, specifically advising on realistic forecasts for each product and territory (based on historical data, market trends, competitive activity, promotional strategy, and sales effort), realistic costs of operating the sales force, and sales promotion program plans.
- Analyze sales statistics to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and to monitor customers’ preferences.
Sales management positions require a bachelor’s degree and 6-10 years of sales management experience.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
Meeting Sales Goals, Negotiation, Selling to Customer Needs, Motivation for Sales, Sales Planning, Building Relationships, Coaching, Managing Processes, Market Knowledge, Developing Budgets, Staffing, Sales Planning, Professionalism, CRM, and Microsoft Office.
All interested candidates please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org